Join 2015 MAR President Corinne Fitzgerald on the ride from her office, to Senate President Rosenberg's and finally to the State House, where the Margaret C. Carlson REALTOR® Day on Beacon Hill will take place June 10th.
Featuring Keynote Speaker: MA Senate President Stanley Rosenberg (D-Amherst)
About the Keynote Speaker:
Senate President Rosenberg began his public service career as an aide to former Congressman John Olver. He was then elected to the Massachusetts House of Representatives in 1987 and later to the senate in 1991, where he began an influential career. Since his first election, Senator Rosenberg has remained deeply committed to improving the lives of the people of Massachusetts. He is the first Jewish and first openly gay legislator to lead the Massachusetts Senate in its over-three-hundred year history.
Serving in many leadership roles, such as Majority Leader, President Pro Tempore, and Chair of the Senate Ways and Means Committee, Senator Rosenberg has been representing the Hampshire, Franklin, and Worcester Districts for over twenty years. As Chair of the Senate Committee on Ways & Means, he passed a long-overdue wage hike for the Commonwealth’s lowest-paid human service workers. In 2009, at the height of the “great recession”, he coauthored a comprehensive package of fiscal relief. As chief architect of the 2011 law establishing expanded gaming, Senator Rosenberg conducted impartial research and wrote a law that guaranteed local participation. To fellow residents of the Pioneer Valley, he played a key role in the passage of many groundbreaking bills guaranteeing equality before the law in the Commonwealth.
The Senator is known as an accessible, responsive leader and champion of affordable and world-class education, fair taxation, government transparency, and environmental protection On January 7, 2015 Senator Rosenberg was elected unanimously to be the 93rd President of the Massachusetts Senate. We are excited to have the Senate President join us for the REALTOR® Day on the Hill.
To preview the Legislative Agenda for the event, check out the 2015-2016 Legislative Priorities.
About MAR Government Affairs
The Massachusetts Association of REALTORS® vigorously support the right of every citizen of the Commonwealth to purchase, sell, develop, lease, manage, own, and use private property with the fullest freedom possible, realizing that such rights must be exercised in a fashion which sustains or improves the quality of life for all. Government Affairs helps support these rights and is dedicated to protecting the values of the REALTOR® Association. Those values include:
- The right of the individual to own and freely use real property and to the extension of that right to every individual without exception
- The free and full exercise of the "bundle of rights" (ie. possession, control, disposition, exclusion and quiet enjoyment) inherent in the ownership of real property and to the fullest possible enjoyment of the benefits conferred by these rights
- The protection and preservation of the free enterprise system which provides the opportunity for fullest expression and enjoyment of the "bundle of rights"
- Freedom for individual initiative, free and open competition, and safeguarding human dignity by defending human rights
- Dedication to the fundamental proposition of the National Association of REALTORS Code of Ethics
- The protection of the environment is of paramount importance and must be achieved in balance with the protection of the rights of individuals to enjoy the full benefits of real property ownership
MAR Government Affairs supports these values by advocating for or against various legislation, researching and educating members about legislative issues, and showing support and dedication to private property rights and home ownership in Massachusetts. See the 2015-2016 Legislative Priorities below for more information on this year's current legislative issues.
REALTOR® Member Value
REALTOR® Member Value has been demonstrated recently in government affairs. MAR members and professional staff are proud to have lobbied successfully for these important issues: Your REALTOR® dues also help to ensure your representation on legal issues affecting you and your clients.
Recent successes include:
- 2013-2014 Legislative Successes
- Quinlan v. Clasby, a case for which MAR filed an amicus brief in support of a broker who succeeded in confirming a very important legal standard that has helped brokers defend themselves against innumerable Chapter 93A claims over the years.
- MAR also filed amicus briefs in two related and very important real estate cases; Urman v. South Boston Savings Bank and Underwood v. Risman which reaffirmed that there is no liability under Chapter 93A for nondisclosure of defect unless the seller or broker has actual knowledge of the defect.
- In the case of Kelly v. Marx, the SJC adopted the position advocated by the Massachusetts Association of REALTORS® in the amicus “friend of the court” brief. In its ruling, the SJC held that the reasonableness of a liquidated damages provision should be evaluated based upon the circumstances at the time the contract was made and that the “second look” doctrine advocated by the Appeals Court in its decision should be rejected.
Useful Links Search for MA Legislation
Find a Legislator