There was a time when I had to run from the room when someone started talking about RPAC and Government Affairs issues because I felt so disconnected. I believed this area was only for those with a certain level of political expertise, but I was wrong.
When I finally decided that there was nothing to be embarassed about, I jumped in 150%. We all need to have a hand in this arena. Sadly, less than 25% of Massachusetts REALTORS® are aware of RPAC and/or have participated, yet ALL OF US benefit from its successes.
If you haven’t made your annual investment in RPAC, it’s not too late. Here are some facts to help you understand why it is critical to contribute:
1. RPAC = Realtor’s® Political Action Committee.
2. RPAC exists on the national, state, and local levels.
3. Trustees are available to answer your RPAC questions. They are listed at marealtor.com/content/trustees.htm.
4. RPAC is a grassroots, REALTOR® member-based initiative that allows us to advance the REALTOR® Party agenda and promote the election of pro-REALTOR® candidates across the United States. That’s right—YOU are one of the most effective forces of the REALTOR® Political Action Committee.
5. RPAC does not favor the Republican Party, nor does it favor the Democratic Party. RPAC favors the REALTOR® Party.
6. Without RPAC and fundraising dollars, there would be no voice on REALTOR® issues.
7. RPAC is required to follow Mass. fundraising laws.
8. RPAC protected your business from issues like: transfer taxes on the sale of property; 6.25% sales taxes on your brokerage services; the role of banks in real estate; and more.
9. The REALTOR® Association is the only professional trade organization that lobbies on behalf of homeowners for the right to use, sell, and freely transfer property.
We have helped to prevent the loss of the federal mortgage interest deduction and home energy scoring; extend and expand the tax credit for homebuyers; and prevent legislation mandating that sellers provide inspection and disclosure of environmental issues on properties they do not own. (See the full list of 2009 victories here
10. To be politically active is not for everybody, but making an annual investment to RPAC is— and it’s easy. Investments can be as little as $25 and special recognition is given for amounts over $100.
I challenge you to accept the responsibility of protecting the values and rights we hold dear. If you as a REALTOR® do not speak out and get involved, someone else will, and it’s a good bet that they won’t be supportive of your position. Remember, RPAC is the best investment in Real Estate. So if not you, who?